Monday, July 05, 2021

Heading West - Day 2 - from Iowa City to Lincoln, Nebraska (June 27, 2021)

By Finnegan 

The Highlander had a cool vibe.  A refurbed supper club from back in the day with a great lobby full of a great selection of records.  Although due to my lack of opposable thumbs, I didn't up playing any of them!

My adorable kids.  I love them a lot.  And I think they love me a lot too!

We had breakfast at Hamburg No. 2 in downtown Iowa City (thanks for the recommendation Badertschers!)  I think I ate my weight in bacon scraps!

We stopped off at a little town for gas, only to find it was closed!  Luckily, the town had a creamery that was open.  And really, it was the only store in town!  So I stopped for a scoop of my favorite - vanilla ice cream.  Yum!

My kids also had some ice cream.

We continued on through the farms of crops and windmills.  Nothing like feeling the wind through your fur!


We checked into they Hyatt in Lincoln, Nebraska.  It is HOT!  We took a walk through the Haymarket District and found a cute Mexican restaurant with plenty of ice water, where I kept watch under the shade of the table and my family played Uno.

My kids were bummed that our hotel pool was broken, so I walked them over the the one at the Marriott up the block.  I dropped them there and went back to the hotel with dad, but I hear my kids worked hard on their synchronized jumping for what seemed like hours.  They took it very seriously.


Until this - perfection!  :)

The kids and mom explored the town a bit more in the cool evening.  They scootered around and happened to find a 24-hour donut shop - Hurts Donut, including a "donut ambulance".  My mom says she is moving to Lincoln, Nebraska so that all her donut emergencies can be addressed.




Donuts are not as good as ice cream.  Enough said.

No comments: