Monday, June 24, 2024

Lisbon - Day 19, June 22

The tuk-tuk tour of the city gave me a good sense of where to run this morning. This was only morning to run in Lisbon, so I had a lot I wanted to cover. Early mornings are such a great time to take in the city. The streets are quiet and the light is magical.










Caden's spirit animal :)


Dr. Sousa Martins statue, surrounded by plaques from those that believe praying to him (he has been dead since 1897) had provided a cure. Known for his work treating the poor in Lisbon, Dr. Martins died by suicide after realizing he had contracted tuberculosis and would face an imminent and painful death.


Beautiful shadows dancing on the front of the building we are staying in, which I had ample time to notice after realizing when I returned that my key didn't open the main building door :)


After a quick shower, Corey, Caden and I headed to the coffee shop nearby we wanted to check out. A gorgeous setting with many cool products but the coffee was meh.


"If we all wanted it, the world be wonderful"

My cute dates.

The kids wanted a heartier breakfast so headed back to a brunch place they liked in Cascais. I met up with them there. The girls and I headed off to explore and Caden went back to the flat for a bit.



The girls and I waited in line to ride up the Sant Justa elevator. Corey and Caden arrived just in time when we made it to the front of the line. The kids went up and Corey headed off to meet our friend's Idris and Hyet who were also in Portugal for the conference. So great to catch up with them, but sadly I didn't manage to get a photo! 

After they left to catch their flight, we ordered a bottle of wine and chatted a bit. After awhile, the girls joined us for a light lunch. From there, Corey headed off to pick up the finished tiles and the girls and I took off in search of what is claimed to be the worlds best chocolate cake at a shop aptly named, "The Best Chocolate Cake in the World" (link). The quest *may* have been slightly influenced by the bottle of wine and the porto-tonic. Anyway, Ubers are really inexpensive so we decided we would cover the 3km by car rather than foot. What was estimated to be 4 minutes away, ended up taking 30-minutes, so it was quite the journey. 




We decided to walk back, which took less time! Sadly, I did not think to take any photos of this cake, but it was pretty good. We will recreate it at some point. It involves chocolate merengue, chocolate mousse, and chocolate ganache. How could it not be good?

After the cake and a little quiet time, we headed to our farewell dinner.

I was feeling a little off (probably as a result of my "lunch"), but everyone else really enjoyed their meals - Corey especially, which is captured below.


We walked home taking in the hills, steps, some of us even sliding down the railings, and taking in the beauty of Lisbon.




We stopped for gelato by the Dr. Sousa Martin memorial, then headed home and finished packing.

No comments: